When brackets pop off and bands loosen, the treatment time is usually extended. To stay on schedule and avoid dental decay, patients need to be careful with what they eat. Here is our Brace Watcher Diet recommendations:
Please drink WATER instead of soda and sports drinks.
- Hard foods can break or damage wires and brackets. Nail biting, pencil and pen chewing, and biting on foreign objects can bend the wires and pop off brackets.
- Sticky foods can get caught between brackets and pull wires out of their positions.
- Sugary foods cause tooth decay and accelerate the white spots that form around the brackets due to high plaque buildup. People with braces have more aggressive bacteria lurking around their appliances and those bacteria love sugar!
Examples of Hard Foods to eat only with Caution:
- Hard taco shells
- French bread crust/rolls
- Corn on the cob
- Apples and carrots (unless cut into small pieces)
- Jolly Ranchers
- Pizza crust
- Uncooked carrots (unless cut)
Examples of Sticky Foods to Avoid:
- Gum (sugar-free or regular)
- Sugar Daddies
- Tootsie Rolls
Minimize Sugary Foods like:
- Ice Cream
Only Once a Day:
- Sweetened tea
- Drinks with sugar